Sunday, March 13, 2011

I'm old.

When did that happen?

I'm on the second half of the second semester of the second half of college. Which means I have seven weeks and 2 semesters until I earn my BFA.

I'm old enough to drink three beers because I wanted the bottle caps for an awesome collaboration project.

Mia's going to be 5 in June. She'll start kindergarten in August. I'm not ready for that.

I started dating Nicholas 5 years, 8 months, 1 week, and 3 days ago. Which means I know him so well, I answer my own questions. I'm also really good at imitating him. I just pretend like I understand how everything works and then explain it using words like "friction" and "torque" and "current" and "capacitors." Even though I have no clue what I'm talking about.


I just got back from Charleston today. It was a marvelous spring break. Nicholas & I explored Hilton Head Island and Savannah. We shot 200 feet of 16mm film. I got my picture taken with 2 fake bears and a bronze alligator statue (because who doesn't want that!). We took silly pictures. He drank coffee because I do (excepts he adds about a quarter cup of sugar--literally). We went to at least 7 different antique/vintage shops. We took advantage of every moment of sunshine.

Which is why coming back to Cleveland today was a little depressing. I came straight to my studio to do some work. Back to late nights in the studio. Back to vending machine coffee and cans of mandarin oranges (my meal right now until I go home). Back to moving things incrementally frame by frame. Which I don't mind at all.

I'm kind of excited, though. I honestly can't remember if I've mentioned this yet, because my brain's been mush lately, but my major day class has us working on developing a thesis, hopefully to use for our BFA project. And I have so many ideas. It's really wonderful to realize why you make art, what drives you. You know, get it down to one idea...that I plan on focusing on until May of 2012. Crazy. But I'm excited.

I should scan some of my sketchbook pages. Lately, my art has been inspired by the apocalypse, the American Old West, Harry Houdini, Paul Revere, the Cottingly fairies, St. Thérèse of Lisieux, winners podiums, Pangea, Hans My Hedgehog, The Youth Who Went Forth To Learn What Fear Was, Wikipedia, The Catcher in the Rye, Grizzly Adams, shadows, hi fives, ghosts, petting zoos, fiction, strangers, narwhals, bears, telescopes, string, unicycles, tin can telephones, and 1960s music performance videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment